FASHION DESIGNERS LIFE





Pratima Pandey with Mother Sushma Pandey

Designer’s life I was born with an eye to feel. As a little girl was moving around holding my mothers hands and through the protected feeling I was silently seeing and observe things. Life around me was buzzing but among all I was strongly developing like’s and dislike’s of things almost to convey a conversation with myself and telling myself I like this and I don’t like that. 
In the hustle bustle of India, difficult to be in one’s own world. no sooner did I be playing with myself , walking and then watching TV ....me in my own world and a hand pulls me and says make the Rangoli ...u are an artist u can make it nicely. As an obedient child…would only listen to my mom and get down to doing the Rangoli. What is important is to get into the right mood to doing it. Diwali had lots of people came over I would be jus standing there smiling and observing…and most of all observing the garments …the embroidery...and only taking my pick and selfishly talking to the people who looked presentable.

Time went by realizing that in my own world few people existed and more so because of some qualities I liked about them- could be the way they talk...or could be how they look or could be simply there heart but mostly qualities beyond my own understanding. Growing up and blossoming into a creative soul. Soon realized I think, talk and wear not like the common …Thus my mind said u stand differently. 

The next best thing to do is to enroll in a college were the madness is common and commonality is rare, soon seeing myself comfortably feeling nice and happy. Mostly could see there were madder souls around. So being a designer it is... In college learning to be you and knowing oneself was it. Self dought was all the time right behind you. That guy looks good and that girl speaks well....that person can create better...that person can manage better...the things. So what am I good at and what am I not good at …And how should I make it even better. Or do I want to or do I have it. 

Never mind there are thousands of designers who have made it because of a certain quality, but mostly because they were creating the right thing at the right time for the right people. Living in the present...knowing the past and thinking about the future is what was required. The point was can one person do all the three things beautifully at one time. 

Experienced faculties nurtured us to know about the ideas and how we execute it to everyone's and ones own liking. My mom could see the shy young girl debating within her the urge to create and adopting the smartness to survive. The point is she could see the real struggle has begun…and that her daughter is getting ready for the real battle to survive in this fashion world without hampering her, which would be the toughest. She came closer and knew it’s tougher and she is ready to help her daughter to not give in. With her the mother was understanding what was going on with her daughter now out of college ... with many examples of her friends who had moved on to have crazy ideas and doing crazy things to celebrate the happiness of discovering the rarity of creating and mind that they poses. Most unfortunately she could see most of them were lost in transitions. Her daughter was just getting to handle and celebrate her creativity. But soon learning that she has to handle people, learn to be a business women, learn marketing, observing - which came to her naturally, and getting to respect her instincts- which she was realizing was the ticket to everything. No one can do things for you or speak for you - better do it yourself and learn. 

 Welcome to the real world- when she decided to start her own...bad garments...poor stitching and stupid styling is common...in this country. Glittering stones and heavy embroidery was an easy sell out. Tempting her to create the same...but her heart was telling her this is for- the not so understood by the misunderstood. Do what you like and do it for you ...and for the people with taste and class. 

Fashion week was a dream and soon I could see it happening. Respecting it because you are in the real game playing it the right way. Stand up and make your garment speak for you. Let them help you serve and let your presentation speak your mind for you. You are in a place where the experts who understand too much come and many who are there given the opportunity to comment without much knowledge to back. But that’s the way it is...one has to impress all. And most importantly do not forget your focus- it’s all about beautiful clothes...and that’s why we are here to celebrate beauty. Sooner I realized it was all coming down to handling people and bills. All I was doing was just paying and paying more all the time. With many experts around me teaching - do this and do that. Some said I like the collection and some said…you should have done that. But what I could realize that you just know it immediately after the show you done it or no. I was on the side which was safe for now...but how strange my tension for the next season had already begun. But now it was getting difficult to handle the pressure to become the smarter you. I mean through attitude ...I thought it was pseudo. But I realized firstly it came naturally but mostly one should adopt to save oneself. Screaming -- will come naturally earlier I thought otherwise ...and more to make the collection how you want it ...its difficult. Soon you realize ...there are experts out there many who are giving free advice and changing what one is doing. 

We designers need production managers. Who can handle master ji’s and tailors? That’s a designer’s life ...much beyond the parties. parties are to relax and learn about the pulse of the market but more so to forget that we have to pay so many people...handle the tailors and masters…who’s life’s we have taken the responsibility to flourish. To tell you the truth that one perfect garment just takes away all the tension. And I know deep down my heart is saying all the problems are worth it. You are creating the perfect garment for the perfect time....and perfect person. What I should not forget it is Timing ...finding the right time is my life. The 15-20 minutes of glamour , the interviews , beautiful people- models, celebrities, make up and hair, photo shoots, run ways, music, lights, choreographers, media, magazines, assistants , masters, experts, buyers, stores, forecasts... and mood swings and money to make everything in your favor to enjoy the creativity. But the pain and the turmoil to handle so many things smoothly is the toughest because sensitive minds need to be protected only then the real creativity can be seen ...but only when you are lucky! 

 Everyday I think I just want to give up coz most of the time we are doing everything but designing ...you have to fight within to be you, fight coz we get so bored so soon, fight to be better managers, fight with ones own self coz we are in love in love with Fashion. And truly speaking we are here for the passion of fashion. Observing and loving my mother now has giving in and accepted that my daughter is a terrible business woman but a beautiful designer. But by nurturing her and helping her balance the personal and professional fronts is important. She realized she has to be the support and love her daughter and guide her to create. If she has it in her she will be there where she will have the freedom to create one day without the additional problems to handle.

Comments

Popular Posts